Sunday, October 1, 2023

FRIED RICE IS NOT JUST A SIDE DISH


 

Hi folks, I'm really on a roll here--two episodes in two weeks.  I think I've been motivated by the record number of views The Chef G Cooking Channel has received over the last month.  I'd like to think I've gone viral and I've become a major Blogspot influencer.  I'm especially a big hit in Singapore.  More than 90% of my readership has come from that southeast Asian city-state.

I'd also like to think Singaporeans appreciate my wit and charm and sophisticated cooking techniques, but I think what's really going on is that Singapore is a major hub for what internet geeks call "bots."

I don't care.  Bots, humans, animals, alien beings from outer space--they're all welcome here.

************

Today's meal is going to be Fried Rice.  I'm a big fan of Asian food, and this is the third Asian dish I've featured on my blog.  True, fried rice isn't generally considered a meal.  It's more like something you'd order to go along with your main course of Szechuan shrimp or Mongolian Beef.  But when you add some meat to fried rice, it becomes a well-rounded meal of vegetables, starch, carbohydrates, protein, and chili peppers.

I'm wasting time.  Let's get down to the cooking.


a
Eggs are prominent in Asian cuisine.  I start with one whole egg and an egg white separated from the yolk.  I hear egg whites have less colesterol, but I don't worry about that health stuff too much.  


Whisk the whole egg and egg white with all the energy you can muster.




Then you just make a batch of scrambled eggs and set them aside.



Cook up a couple cups of rice, cut some chicken into small pieces, chop up some onions and carrots, and pour 1/4 cup of frozen peas from a bag.



More pouring.  In this case, pour some olive oil into a heavy wok.



Stir fry the chicken on high heat for a couple minutes.  Set the meat aside.
 


Add more olive oil to the wok and saute the onions.  Oh man, that smells delicious.



Add the carrots and chicken.  Stir frequently for a couple minutes.  Then add the scrambled eggs and peas just before serving. 



OH YEAH!


I forgot to mention that at the end, I added soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and an amazingly delicious Japanese stir fry sauce I recently discovered. 


Dig in, dudes and chicks.



2 comments:

  1. I can imagine the smell in the kitchen was fabulous. I'm a big fan of fried rice as a main dish, too! Over here, they usually put the little shrimps in there, if you get it from a takeaway restaurant. But I don't like the shrimp in there. And I always have to pull the peas out for Nigel - he detests them so much the smell of them makes him gag!

    But another fine dish! So glad you're back after the hiatus. I"ll be visiting the Chef G cafe if I ever get to YOUR town.

    Since I can't do regular soy sauce now, I use tamari. And one variation I love is tamari, ginger and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Fresh minced ginger (since it's always available here) added with the onions, lemon juice and tamari whisked together and added at the end - it's very yum that way, too! Looking forward to seeing what comes from your kitchen, next. -- Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few vegetables that give me that gagging effect (yeah, I'm talking about you, brussels sprouts, lima beans and wax beans), but peas aren't one of them. In fact, peas are one of my favorite veggies--as long as they're fresh or frozen. Canned peas are awful.

      I'm going to have to try your ginger/onion/lemon juice/tamari mix some time. It sounds delicious.

      As always, thank you for being the only commenter on the Chef G. Cooking Channel.

      Delete