Monday, April 22, 2024

HIP HIP HOORAY! HUZZAH! CHEERS! OLE'!: LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!

Hi folks, Chef G. here for a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very special edition of my wonderful cooking blog.  As the title suggests, today's post is a major milestone for the Chef G. Cooking Channel.  Incredibly, I've reached episode #40 and the network hasn't even suggested cancelling my program yet.

As usual I'm ready to once again fulfill all of your reading and cooking dreams, but I'll be doing it a little differently this time.

That's because I sent out surveys to my many, MANY followers from all over the world.  I asked them to vote for which one of the following recipes they most wanted to see for this auspicious occasion:

1)  Honey and soy glazed salmon

2)  Stir fried broccoli

3)  Corned beef & hash

4)  Hearty beef & barley soup

5)  Louisiana Gumbo

All nine of my rabid fans exclaimed, "ALL OF THEM!!!"

I aim to please, but I don't have enough time in my busy schedule to write up FIVE detailed recipes in one day.  Plus, I'm a little lazy.  Therefore, I'm going to be using the art of photography instead of the arts of chefery and bloggery and recipe-ery.  And I gotta tell ya, you are in store for some pretty amazing food photography.  GET READY!

************

Honey& Soy Glazed Salmon fresh out of the oven.  DELICIOUS

Served with Minnesota wild rice, it's even DELICIOUSER.


Stir Fried Broccoli.  I was going to add it to another dish, but I couldn't wait.  So I ate it all by itself.


I planned to cook a corned beef brisket for Mrs. Chef G. and me on St. Patrick's Day, but we got a last minute invitation from our next door neighbors to join them for--you guessed it--an Irish corned beef and cabbage dinner.  We ate our own corned beef brisket a couple weeks later.  The next day, I made corned beef hash from the leftovers.  DELICIOUS!


The best corned beef hash ever made by anyone!


'Twas even better with a dollop of perfectly cooked scrambled eggs and a slice of cheese.


One day I made a beef pot roast.  It was delicious, of course.  The next day, I put the fat, the juices, the bone, and some onions, garlic, carrots & celery in a soup pot with water and boiled it.  Four hours later, I strained all the solids out of the beautiful broth.  The day after that, I sauted some fresh carrots, celery & onions in butter, then added the beautiful broth and shredded leftover beef.  After that simmered for an hour, I added barley and let it simmer another hour.  With five minutes left to go, I added frozen peas.


DELICIOUS beyond belief.


Somewhere along the line I discovered my new favorite cheese.  When I bought it, I thought the label said "Le Gregyere" which would have been appropriately cheesy.


Cajun food is one of my favorite ethnic styles.  I featured a jambalaya back in the early days of the Chef G. Cooking Channel, but I've never ventured into the world of Gumbo.  I'm glad I tried it out on this particular day.


Ladle it onto some perfectly cooked rice, and you would not believe the DELICIOUSNESS.


BONUS COVERAGE: 

Once in a while, it's nice to go to a restaurant--even when your own cooking is so much better.  I just thought I'd share a couple memorable restaurant experiences to help celebrate my 40th episode.


Every five or ten years, some old college buddies and I get together for lunch at The Monte Carlo--a retro cool restaurant in Minneapolis.  Look how much more hair those other guys have on their heads than Chef G. has on his head.



Every once in a while, Mrs. Chef G. and I go out for a restaurant meal.  Recently, we tried a new Thai place in town.  She really liked whatever this was called.

  
I liked my Mussels Karapoa better.  I MUST bribe the restaurant owners for their recipe.


Thank you, everyone, for your incredible support through 40 wonderful episodes.  That's what keeps me publishing this stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 40 episodes!!! Your dishes all look fantastic, but that beef and veggie soup from the homemade stock sounded utmost delicious. I liked corned beef hash as a kid but I don't think I've had it in several decades. I do love good Thai food, sign me up for pad kee mao. Looking forward to the next 40 episodes! --Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. I know I probably seem like a really smart celebrity chef and all, but I was not familiar with pad kee mao. So I Googled it to see what it was, then I found a couple of recipes, and, oh my, it looks so delicious that I'm thinking of cooking up a batch for Episode #41.

      Delete