Tuesday, March 16, 2021

GRILLED SALMON INFUSED WITH MIDWESTERN SENSIBILITY



Salmon is one of my favorite meats, not only because of its fine flavor, but also because of its cool pinkish-orange hue.  As a bonus, salmon has lots of that heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acid.

Not that I care whether omega-3 fat is healthy or not--I just just like fat, period.  Fat is what makes food taste good.  That's why a well-marbled steak is better than a lean chicken breast.  That's why people put dressing on a salad.  That's why people put mayonnaise on a sandwich.  That's why people put gravy on mashed potatoes.  That's why people butter their toast.  That's why bacon exists.  Fat makes the food world go round.  If I teach you nothing else on the Chef G Cooking Channel, please remember this:  FAT = Flavor.

Another thing to remember is that salmon flesh IS meat.  It's beyond me how some vegetarians justify the consumption of fish.  Nor can I figure out how devout Catholics can eat fish on Fridays during Lent AND be in compliance with the "no meat on Fridays during Lent rule" at the same time.

I'm sorry, but fish meat is no less a meat than cow meat is a meat.  Nevertheless, I'm happy to be posting this salmon recipe during the Lenten season.  I hope it provides a nice alternative to all those Friday night fish fries that pop up in bars and restaurants all over the mid-west.  I also hope it saves a few kids from having to eat Mrs. Paul's Frozen Fish Sticks on the night of their religious observance.  (Like I did back in the day.)

                                                             ************

I've seen a number of celebrity chefs preparing salmon in a variety of ways on TV.  I learned a few tips from them, but I don't think I owe any of them any kind of recognition.  I developed my own superior version of grilled salmon through trial and error.  The key to this recipe is my proprietary blend of salt, pepper, paprika, and dried sage.  Son-of-a-bee, it's good.

Unfortunately, "proprietary" means the blend is mine, it's top secret, and I'd have to charge you big bucks for it.   Well, more truthfully, I've never actually written down the exact proportions.  All I can say is, mix and match them on your own and come up with your own proprietary spice blend.  That's what makes cooking fun!


The spices. Let your preference and imagination be your guides. 
(A free hint:  Use more salt than the other ones.)  



Liberally season the salmon filet with your proprietary blend of
spices.  Gently press the mix into the fish meat with your hand
and let it rest while you get the grill ready.


The tricky parts of this recipe involves heat and cooking time as it's harder to control those things in a charcoal grill.  If done correctly, however, the results can be so much more awesome than salmon cooked in an oven.  Just don't overcook it.  I'll repeat that: DON'T OVERCOOK IT!  Like a good steak, grilled salmon should be served medium-rare.

I can't tell you how many times I've overcooked salmon in the past.  Luckily I now have my grilling method down to a science and it has been a long time since I've ruined a nice $16 salmon fillet.  I hope I don't blow my success streak today.

Actually, it's not all that difficult.  Pour coals into the grill.  Light 'em up.  Get 'em nice and hot.  Place the filet on the grate on the opposite end of the coals, put the lid on the grill, and let it heat for about 15-20 minutes.  When the fish meat develops a nice golden-brown shade, move it directly above the hot coals for another three or four minutes.

What could be easier than that?


Just make sure to check on the grill frequently to ensure you  
don't overcook your $16 salmon filet.



If only you could see the drool running down my chin.


When done, the outside of the filet should have a sizzle-y copper color; the inside should be firm, yet it still retains a little of that raw pinkish-orange hue.  If the thought of slightly rare salmon grosses you out, I suppose you can go ahead and ruin it by leaving it over the coals for a while longer.


MMMMMMmmmmmmmm.  Omega-3 fatty acid fish meat, 
baked potato smothered in butter fat, and coarsely-chopped
cabbage in a homemade mayo-based coleslaw sauce.


Almost done eating.  Sorry for the blurriness.




No comments:

Post a Comment