Monday, August 26, 2024

NEWS HEADLINE: Cheesy Chef Gets Duped By Cheesy Packaging

 Hi folks, Chef G. here, and welcome back to the Chef G. Cooking Channel--where cooking & eating isn't just a way to stay alive . . . it's life in paradise itself.  That's particularly true when yours truly is doing the cooking.  I hate to brag but, if a heavenly paradise exists, most of my delicious dishes would be served there.

************

With all my cooking experience, all my food expertise, and all my bragging, one might be led to believe I was infallible.  One would certainly be surprised that the Cheesy Chef referred to in the news headline at the top of this page was ME.  I can't even believe it myself.  Indeed, I was the victim of trickery, if not outright fraud.  Allow me to explain:

I like cheese in almost all of its forms except Velveeta and other cheese-like substances.  Cheeses made from milk squeezed from cows, goats, and sheep are good.  Cheeses produced by the magic of chemistry are not good.

I especially like to visit the gondola full of imported European cheeses at my local grocery store, eschewing the aisle full of mass-produced Kraft, Borden, Crystal Farms, etc. products. 

Yesterday, I noticed something new: Sartori Old World Cheddar.  Aged & Sharp . . . just how I like it.


I was enticed by the "Old World" packaging and the words "robust" and "European tradition."  How could I not have noticed the "Proudly Wisconsin" insignia?


When I got home, I cut into the cheese for a quick taste.  It was kind of soft.  As one of the top food experts in the world, I knew Cheddar cheese should be kind of firm.  I guess that's true for a well-aged Cheddar from the British Isles, but not so true for a young cheese from Wisconsin.  At least it was white, unlike most American cheddars which are orange.

The best cheese in the world?  HAH!


Next time I buy cheese, I'll be sure to inspect the label with more circumspection.  Having said that, the TASTE of this Sartori Old World Cheddar wasn't bad.  I was just taken aback by the Velveeta-like softness.  Also, I don't disrespect Wisconsin cheese.  I love Wisconsin cheese curds--especially when they're battered and deep-fried in hot oil at the state fair.

I salvaged the soft Sartori Cheddar by using it for possibly the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever made.  I can't decide if it was the cheese or the fresh multi-grain bread that made it the BEST, but it really doesn't matter.  IT WAS DELICIOUS!
 
The beginning


The End


4 comments:

  1. Ah, duped by packaging! Now, we hold you in high esteem Chef G, and know that you are well above the rest of us minions in your knowledge and expertise in all things food... But rest assured, the same thing has happened to us all. I'm glad you could find a good use for it, even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting. I, too, used to love really nice cheese, and there was nothing better than finding an exotic soft cheese on reduce to clear, because you knew it was perfectly ripe and it wouldn't need to sit around and age before eating. I do miss good cheese on occasion, but my health is so much better without it, so please enjoy some for me each time you purchase some fine cheese. I know you'll be looking at the packaging more closely next time. Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry cheese and your health are mutually exclusive. Considering my weight gain over the last few years, I should probably consider eliminating cheese from my diet too. (Not to mention fatty red meat, whole milk, beer, bratwursts, Cheetoes, processed foods, etc., etc., etc., etc.) For now, anyway, I'll enjoy some fine cheese for you. In other words, to quote Minnesota band--Gear Daddies-- "I'm gonna change . . . just not today."

      https://youtu.be/w-pEeR4hoZI

      Delete
  2. So I wonder if my friend who went to Mankato in the late 80s for college knows the gear daddies... Yeah, you need a push sometimes to make change. West Nile and all that came after was a pretty huge shove for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your friend was into music at all, I'd guess she has some knowledge of the Gear Daddies. The band originated in the 80's in Austin, MN, which is only about 70 miles from Mankato. Plus, they achieved a little national fame by appearing on the David Letterman Show in the early 90's. They also have a star on the First Avenue building.

      For sure, what you went through would spark an immediate change in me too.
      Speaking of West Nile, the virus has made a comeback in Wisconsin and Illinois. Three deaths and several hospitalizations, so far.

      Delete