Hi folks, Chef G. here, and let me tell you I'm happier than a rattlesnake with a mouthful of field mice to be back with a new episode of The Chef G. Cooking Channel.
Speaking of snakes, I should probably thank the reptillian Chef Gordo Ramses for filling in for me last week while I was recovering from food poisoning. True, I SHOULD thank him, but I WON'T. Far from thanking him, I CURSE him for telling the whole world about every embarrassing detail of my bout with stomach cramps, fever, barfing, and diarrhea. And when I find out which one of my staffers leaked all that information to Chef Gordo, he or she will be given a scolding and a 10% cut in pay.
Anyway, I survived the ordeal and I'm ready to get back to my job. It's the work for which I was put on this earth by the heavenly food gods. (Um, that would be creating and cooking exquisite food recipes.)
Today, I'll be sharing a dish I dug up from a secret vault hidden deep in the castle of the Stroganov family of Russian oligarchs.
I conducted a little research on that family and I learned I have a few things in common with them:
- They became super rich in Tsarist Russia because they built a salt manufacturing empire. In much the same way, I became super rich because I built a food blogging empire.
- Given that the Stroganovs invested in the salt industry, it's obvious they liked the stuff. I, too, really, really, really like salt. It's easily my favorite spice.
- The Stroganovs were patrons of the arts and fine foods. I like art too. And I like food.
- The Stroganovs have a famous dish named after them. Likewise, I've named many of my dishes after myself.
![]() |
| From Left to Right: Chef Rasputin G. and Count Boris Stroganov |
According to Russian lore, the family's French chef created a dish with noodles, beef, onions, garlic, mushrooms, butter and creme fraiche, and he named it after the Stroganov family. Unlike the Stroganov's, I don't have a French chef on staff. I have French heritage though, so you know that I know what I'm doing. My version of beef stroganoff has some of my own variations. I call this dish "Boeff Stro-G-Noff."
************
![]() |
| It begins with the slicing and dicing of garlic and onions. |
![]() |
| Measure out a half-cup of flour. Also, start boiling some water to cook up a batch of egg noodles. |
![]() |
| Stir in 12 oz. of sour cream. The sour cream will produce creamy creaminess. Ooooh, that creaminess is sublimely creamy . . . and tasty. |







That looks very yum! I'd miss the mushrooms though. Do I want to know how you have a life-size nutcracker guy? And what is it about Worcestershire sauce that you don't like? Seems like a pasty guy would be a Worcestershire guy given their similar origins. Glad to see you back and that you survived your food poisoning - that would have been a very ironic way to go! -- Emily
ReplyDeleteBoy, do I WISH the Nutcracker guy was mine. He actually belongs to Mrs. Chef G.'s sister, whose house we were at when I cooked the beef stroganoff. It was by pure luck that I noticed how perfectly a character from a Russian ballet would fit into my blog post. And yes, it was sad that I had to leave out the shrooms. Had I not done so, the girls wouldn't have even touched it. I learned that a couple years ago when I made my famous Chicken Wild Rice Soup for them.
DeleteI think my problem with Worcestershire sauce is the anchovies. And my problem with anchovies isn't the saltiness, because I love salt. Nor is my problem with the idea of them being tiny fish, because I like other small fish such as smelt and sardines. Luckily I have found that soy sauce is a pretty good substitute in any recipe that calls for what I like to call Worchestershestershireshaush.